Monday 20 May 2013

An Imaginary Interview With Makhaya Ntini


[The following article I wrote here is not based on something that truly happened, just a creative imagination of how it would be like if I had the opportunity to sit and conduct an interview with the legendary South African cricket veteran. If you reading this, I hope you enjoy it and sort of get the feel of how it is being within the same space as the legend]

Its Test cricket fever in Cape Town and South Africa are hosting the unpredictable Pakistan outfit. The atmosphere around Newlands is electric -despite it being in a Test match. I slowly start getting soaked up into the historical fever around the ground; with Graeme Smith's 100th Test match being the order of the day. But I know there's something else around the Newlands Park media room I could use that has historical value as well.

I spot legendary former South African fast bowler, Makhaya Ntini in the South African Broadcasting Commission (SABC) media room. He's on his break, sipping on a cold Sparletta Cream Soda; which from the looks of it seems to be quenching his thirst. Everyone who knows Ntini on a first name basis would know that Sparletta Cream Soda is undoubtedly his favourite soft drink by far. I don't want to disturb him bonding with his favourite drink, so I quickly head towards the media room fridge to get my favourite soft drink -a Stoney! I go back to where I previously found Ntini and notice he's still in the same place drinking his soft drink. "Hey Ta Makker [Ntini] I bet you would love to have what I'm drinking right now than that medicine-looking drink you having there" I say to the legend, attempting to mock him. "No no no never, never Mr Manjezi [sic]. We all know what Nelson Mandela would drink if we were to give him my drink and your drink," says Ntini.

I begin asking him about Graeme Smith and he’s thoughts of the 100th Test match skipper; who in more than half of those matches, captained Ntini when the fast bowler was still making trends across the cricketing globe. "Graeme [Smith] was the back bone of the Proteas Test team, and he still is even now. I don't know what would happen if he were to retire and give the captaincy to someone else. I remember when he had just come into the team as a young captain. Everyone was against the thought of him captaining us. But little did they know that he would end up being so successful 10 years down the line," commented Ntini about Smith and his captaincy.

HEAVY BALL: Makhaya Ntini in full action in his Test debut
Ntini and I suddenly hear noise from where the cricket action is taking place on the historical ground. The Proteas are celebrating a wicket taken by Vernon Philander who’s hysterical in his celebration, running across to his wicket-keeper, AB de Villiers. It was on this ground, on that same bowling end that Ntini got his first Test wicket, dismissing Sri Lankan batsman, Aravinda de Silva, for a well played 77 runs off 98 balls. "It was a long and hot day. Marvin [Atapattu] and de Silva were building a strong partnership, hitting us in all corners of Newlands. I didn't know what to do. I didn’t know where to bowl. So I quickly went over to Allan [Donald] and asked him what I should do. He just simply said I should intimidate de Silva, so I took his advice and thought he meant I should give de Silva a bouncer. My bouncer didn't really get up to his head, but it got his edge and I went crazy," explained Ntini about the historical day. It was indeed all historical as that Test match against Sri Lanka in Newlands, March 19 1998 -was the first time an African represented South Africa in Test cricket. That was the day in which Ntini made history.


More than a decade later, Ntini is enjoying life more each day. While occasionally playing cricket for his provincial franchise, the Chevrolet Warriors, Ntini juggles between his cricket, being a commentator and a brand ambassador for Volvo South Africa. Now at the age of 35, Ntini still longs to be on the field and have a few glorious overs under his belt. He simply doesn't want to let go of the sport which immensely changed his life for the better. "I still play cricket only for two reasons. One is because my body hasn't said my time is up, instead I feel fresher than I was back in 1998. Secondly for the young black cricketers emerging into the Warriors first team from the different Eastern Cape cricketing unions. In Border we've seen the introduction of young cricketers like Aya Gqamane and Vuyisa Makhaphela. I have to be around these black cricketers to ensure that they find they’re feet in professional cricket. After all that has been accomplished, then I can rest." said Ntini with a huge broad and proud smile on his face.

It's now 11:45am and Ntini is about to go on air for his commentary spell before the lunch break.
Ntini looks down onto the ground to see what the current situation in the game is. He watches Dale Steyn bowl three deliveries to Pakistan's veteran batsman, Younis Khan and taps me on my shoulder. "Look, look! Younis is moving his feet. He's dancing on the wicket to the fast bowler. He's going to score a big one if we don't get his wicket quickly," Ntini assured me. Younis Khan later ended his brilliant innings on 111 runs, after the edge of his bat caught a seaming Philander delivery. With over 100 Test matches himself, the one they call the Mdingi Exxpress definitely knows how the lovely game of cricket is played.

-Mandilulame Manjezi
@JizzyJakesTheIn


No comments:

Post a Comment